Cars are expensive and restrictions are complicated, please check with the ACST Business Department for the latest regulations/restrictions on cars.

Many teachers at ACST prefer to purchase a car. Most teachers live in La Marsa or Carthage which is about a 10 minute drive to school. Having a car gives you the flexibility and freedom to explore Tunisia on weekends. It also makes getting to and from school at odd hours more convenient. Renting a car for the weekend is also an affordable option.
Tunisian Taxi

It is possible to live here and not own a car. Riding a bike to school is possible most of the year (about 45 minutes from where most teachers live). Taxis are usually easy to find and quite affordable. It is also possible to catch rides with other teachers as many live in the same area. The biggest challenge will be travel to and from school at strange hours and catching taxis during holidays and festivals. Keep in mind that taxi prices go up 50% after 9:00pm.

For those who wish to purchase a car.
Please check with the ACST Business Department for the latest regulations on cars before making any purchases or decisions about cars including bringing a car into the country.

A small used old car can cost $2000-10,000.
Mid-range used sedan cost $5,000-15,000
A used 4X4 will start at about $6,000 and go as high as $45,000
Check with the business office before purchasing any vehicle- rules and restrictions change often.

Outside Tunis

Basic Facts To Know1067775.jpg
  • Please note that transfer of ownership of cars can take as long as 6 months but usually takes 2-3 months. During this time you cannot drive your car.
  • Insurance cost $200-$600 annually depending on the car and the type of coverage.
  • Cars older than 3 years need an annual inspection ($15).
  • Spare parts are generally available for all French cars and VWs. If you bring in a Japanese or American car, bring in some spare parts with you.
  • Mechanics are easy to find and quite inexpensive, but not all work is done to the highest standards.
  • Gasoline is just over $3 a gallon (January 2008).
  • You will get stopped by police at some point. Always have your driving license and car papers.
  • The school will help you with paperwork and insurance.
  • RS Plates are the "tax-free" plates given to teachers at ACST. Diplomats get CD plates (also tax-free). PAT is a type of tax-free status given to some overseas workers.
  • In most cases, the simplest and fastest way to get a car is to purchase a local car with taxes. This is more expensive but you can sell for a higher price when you leave.
  • Generally, tax-free cars must be sold only to people who qualify for tax-free status.
  • Getting cars and dealing with car papers is complicated.